1.7.19

NAEROYFJORD and GEIRANGERFJORD

Next morning was our departure on the electric powered boat cruising Naeroyfjord and Geirangerfjord to Gudvangen.

We sailed through pristine waters, surrounded by towering snow covered mountains.  Words can't do justice to this journey - breathtakingly beautiful, spectacular, awe-inspiring.... all of these and more.  The water was like a mill-pond, and I took some amazing photos with great depth to the reflections.  

Around every turn in the fjord was another stunning vista.  We eventually came to a junction where the fjord veered left into the Geirangerfjord.  Another spectacular trip until we reached Gudvangen, where this part of the journey ended.

We retrieved our luggage then boarded a bus to Voss.  Another interesting trip, going through small towns, villages, ski resorts and caravan/camping parks, and beautiful lakes, some of them frozen.  The bus was warm and  comfortable and the time passed quickly.

On arrival at Voss we had a short wait for the train to Bergen. I needed to use the toilets here and was directed to an area down a couple of flights of stairs.  However, I was surprised to find that I had to pay to use the facilities.  I had no local currency, and had to use my credit card to open the door - but I did something wrong and the door just wouldn't open. I was rescued by a young local girl who swiped her card for me, let me use the toilet, then she went in - a two-for-one pee, if you like. First time I've ever had to use a credit card for a pee!

So, the train arrived, and we were on our way to Bergen.  We got a taxi from the station to the Thon Orion Hotel.  Our booking included a light dinner and breakfast next morning.  Our room was lovely, with a great view over the river area.    The 'light dinner' was a buffet, with plenty of variety - fish, meatballs, pasta,salads breads and desserts, coffee etc.

After dinner we had a stroll around the Brygge area, which was colourful and charming, where I did indeed take a few photos.  

Then it was back to the hotel to get organised for our Hurtigruten Cruise  through the fjords the next day.

So far, everything has worked well and we've seen some stunning countryside.

No comments: